Friday, January 13, 2012

When you need a few minutes to yourself, try licorice

So, I am a mom of 4 and people ask me sometimes, "how do you do it?" Well I am going to reveal one of the secrets to my success, as well as a scrap page.

My secret is LICORICE.


Here's the story behind this page:

When my son was born and my daughter 2 and a half, I was struggling to manage 2 kids. At the time, I was trying my hand at a new job opportunity  called "the stay at home mom".  ( I really should have asked about the benefits more before taking on that job, by the way). 

When I first started staying home, I was trying to do all the roles/chores with superior performance. As the months went on, I started to have a, shall we say, "breach of contract." In the end, it was complete surrender, as my once neighbor and friend Jenifer told me to do. That is: PJ's at noon, brushing teeth when I could, and  going to the bathroom on a PRN basis so that I can play with my kids and focus more on them and less on the duties of the home. In the nursing world PRN means "as needed."  In my case it was as needed and when possible. Oh, and just to clarify, Jenifer didn't tell me to dress in my PJ's, just to not get so upset that my chores are not done when I want etc. at the sacrifice of my kids. You know?

One day I decided that going to the bathroom peacefully was of the utmost importance. You know those days when something minor becomes your battleground and you are determined to win. Anyhoo, I wanted to go and not be interrupted or rushed, you know, like I used to go, back in the day! So I gave my son licorice. He loved it and spent a good 20 minutes munching on it because he was getting teeth. He made a BIG mess! 

Sure, I had to clean it all up later, probably with a bath that he needed anyway. (I later learned to better manage time too). BUT, it was TOTALLY worth it!  And I was even able to take a picture before clean up just to remember the moment!!  And yes, I am scrapping it 4 years later. Cuz that's what happens when you surrender.  :)

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by...